Through a one-sided call, he shows them how to ward off Hacking with a quick simulation, how to get to the Red Room via key-searching, and warns them of the "urban legend" of Kidnappers, as well as of local serial killer The Breather.
If player fails to block Adam's hacking attempts, he will have to repeat mini-game.
Intro and keys
- "Hey... So...are you sure you want to do this? The deep web is full of fucked up shit. Even worse, a Red Room. There are some things you can't unsee.
- "Alright well, don't say i didn't warn you. The Deep Web is like a giant maze, there is no search engine. So you have to do some exploring to find what you are looking for."
- "I went ahead and set your homepage on A.N.N to a deep wiki page to get you started. What you are looking for are 8 hidden keys on the deep web. Not all sites have them but some do. You have to explore each page, click the links and see what you discover. A hidden key looks like this..."
- "Each key contains an order number associated with them. This is important. Once you have found all 8 keys you have to type out the complete key in order. This will provide you with the Red Room's URL."
- "This is where the notes system comes handy, you can keep track of all the keys you have found."
- "When you explore the Deep Web, you are exposed to hackers. These hackers will attempt to attack you. But don't worry, i went ahead and installed some tools to prevent this from happening."
- "There are three kinds of attacks that happen to you while you browse the Deep Web. The first one being a Denial Of Service attack, or better known as a D.O.S attack."
- "When a hacker attempts to D.O.S you, you will be prompted with the D.O.S_Blocker tool to try and block the attack."
- "You simply have to click the action nodes and re-direct the traffic to the exit node. This prevents the packets from flooding your system. You have to activate all of them, though! If you don't you will get hacked."
- "Pro tip, you can hold the middle mouse button to speed up the process."
- "I am going to go ahead and launch a D.O.S attack on you, so you can test this out yourself... Ready?
- "Oh great, you nailed it!"
- "The second type of attack that can happen to you is a Kernel attack. Hackers will try to corrupt your kernel and prevent you from using your system."
- "Just like the D.O.S_Blocker tool i went ahead and installed the K3RN3LCOMP1L3R tool for you to fix the corrupted code. With this tool you just have to type what is on the screen."
- "Alright, now i will launch a Kernel attack on you, so you can test it out for yourself... Ready?"
- "Ok, great, now let's move to the third and final attack. A Vector Acess Performance Executer or better known as a V.A.P.E attack.
- "A V.A.P.E attack will corrupt your memory segment blocks by re-arranging the out of order, just like the previous two tools, i went ahead and installed the CloudGrid for you to correct these segments. With the CloudGrid you must re-arrange the memory segments so they are not horizontal or vertical from each other."
- "A corrupted memory segment looks like this."
- "And a correct memory segment looks like this."
- "I am going to go ahead and launch a V.A.P.E attack on you, ready?"
- "Excellent. Now you can only be hacked when your I.P adress is revealed. By default A.N.N hides your I.P adress, but some websites may reveal it to the hackers. If you are getting hacked and would like it to stop. Simply just reset the modem, this will reset your I.P adress."
- "That's about it... You are now ready to explore the Deep Web."
- "Oh wait a minute...A couple more things I forgot to mention. This is just an urban legend but I'm not sure if it's true or not. But they say the farther you get into the deep web, there are kidnappers that will try to locate and kidnap you."
- "So be on the look out for this, if you think someone is tracking you. Just turn all the lights off and be quiet, don't say a word. When you think the coast is clear, turn the lights back on."
The Breather Edit
- "Now besides that, this I can promise you is real. Where you currently are there is a serial killer on the loose, they call him "The Breather". He looks for his victims browsing the Deep Web and random hitch hikers."
- "It's kind of weird, but he also calls his prey before killing them, breathing into the phone and saying other things that don't make sense, hence why he is called "The Breather"."
- "If you are some how unfortunate to be a target of his, you have to block the front door with your life! He has a strict set of rules where he can only attack if he breaks through the front door... Don't ask me why."
- "So if you feel like he is targeting you, be sure to check the front door at the house your at... If he is there, hold the doorknob with your life and hope he doesn't get too aggressive."
- "How do you check the door and turn the lights off? Well once you zoom out of the computer by hiding the right click button, hit the A, S, D keys to look around you. Certain items will trigger a sub-action you can do."
- "Well that's it! Good luck!"
- Adam is named, modeled after, and voiced by the creator of the game - Adam Flatau.